Wednesday 15 August 2012

Tips For Overcoming Anxiety

I have suffered with anxiety and panic attacks since I was 26. I have been on medication, which did help for a time, but medication is only a band-aide, covering the real issues, never solving them. I would like to share a few tips that have helped me tremendously.

Pray I heard this the other day and it touched me deeply. "God ruthlessly perfects who he royally elects". My anxiety always becomes worse when I am further from God. When I feel connected to Him, I am able to cast all my cares and worries on Him. Pray for the peace that only He can give. Ask and you shall receive.

Avoid Alcohol Alcohol seems like a great way to calm down, forget your trouble and ease your anxiety. While this works short term, you will suffer more for it later. I know that when I have a few drinks, the next day is filled with anxiety and panic attacks. It does something to my nervous system and I am unable to feel peaceful.

Avoid Sugar and Caffeine The first thing a Doctor will tell someone with anxiety is to avoid sugar and caffeine. Caffeine is deadly to a nervous person. Switch to green tea! It does have some caffeine which will keep you from withdrawal symptoms and it also has a calming effect (green tea is also great for weight loss). Sugar is like poison to the body. Instead indulge in fresh fruits, sweet and delicious!

Try L-Theanine L-theanine  is an amino acid that has a positive effect on anxiety and mood. It is found in green tea which could explain the tea's calming effect. L-theanine supplements can be found at health stores. I find the relaxing effects of L-theanine last up to 8 hours. Safe and natural!

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy There are 3 books that I have found extremely helpful. From Panic To Power, The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook and Mind Over Mood. The mind is a powerful thing! Learn to change the way you think and you will change your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment