Thursday 2 August 2012

Convenience Food is Killing Us!

I get it. I'm a busy mom of 2 young girls. I used to search for convenient, pre-packaged foods that my kids could eat on the go. I myself would grab a granola bar for breakfast in a hurry. Drive-thru's are always lined up with people looking for something fast to fill their belly. The problem is, this stuff is killing us! Our bodies are not getting the nutrients we need, so we are constantly hungry, looking for more. The toxins from these "convenient foods" are making us sick and fat! Is there anything convenient about that?
Fruit is the original fast food. It's portable, it's quick and it DOES give us the nutrients our body craves. Instead of peeling back plastic wrap from a sugar and toxin filled breakfast bar, try peeling a banana. Keep your fridge stocked with organic apples, kiwi, oranges, grapes and berries. For some protein I like to grab a handful of raw cashews or sunflower seeds. It is incredibly satisfying to know you are fueling your body with what it needs and not junk calories. Watch your energy levels increase and your mood improve. My kids love fruit, what kid doesn't? You'll notice that once you start giving your body what it needs, cravings for the junk will disappear!

2 comments:

  1. I agree!!! I pack my son healthy lunches for school or camp and we eat healthy dinners... there is the odd time we do reach for something of convenience that isnt good for us, but I find my biggest struggle is not us, its getting the people around us to stop giving(my son in particular) the sugary snacks. My brother is terrible for bringing him candy and stuff when I have asked him not to many times and he doesnt care. Another thing I find hard is the schools don't allow nuts and my son loves nuts. I would love to include those in his lunches but can't. But I do notice feeling better myself when I eat healthy and my son's behaviour is much better when he is not near the sugary stuff.... I'm learning more healthy ways of giving him the treats he wants without the sugar.. hoping that more and more people will start moving towards natural health. We have all been sick for a long time eating foods that were not good for us and not even thinking twice about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! It's hard to control what others give your children. My girls are always given "treats" when they visit their grandparents. My girls are still young so I haven't had to worry about packing School lunches yet... We just need to do our best with what we have. I feel that if I keep things as healthy as possible at home and set a good example, my kids will naturally grow up to appreciate healthy food and make better choices. I've noticed a HUGE difference in how I feel eating "real" food. Not everyone "gets it" yet, all we can do is keep trying to educate others until they do.

    ReplyDelete